Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Potato Chip Rock" aka Mt. Woodson Trail at Lake Poway, CA

We finally made it to "Potato Chip Rock" this afternoon.  After a late start, we made our way up the steep climb speckled with beautiful views along the way despite the clouds.




Upon finally reaching the top we wondered how to actually get up on top of the rock to have our pictures taken. As we pondered a guy near by showed us how it was done (jumping from one rock to the next or scrambling up the rock).  Sam went first as I was very timid about jumping over the gap between the two rocks.  Sam assisted me over when it was my turn.  I wasn't too nervous while up on the rock itself, however almost had a panic attack on the way back down.  I didn't feel I had the upper body strength to push/pull myself back up onto the other rock so I opted for what looked like the easier route: scrambling down the rock.  I managed to get 1/3 of the way down before lodging my knee between the two rocks.  Sam noticed I was taking a while and came down to inspect.  At this point I was starting to panic because my knee was really stuck and I envisioned my bones having to break in order to get dislodged from between the rocks.  With Sam's help I was eventually able to wriggle loose.




Needless to say, if I do this hike again I will not be doing the photo opt on top of the Potato Chip Rock.

Tips for this hike:  I suggest bringing plenty of water, a snack or two, a jacket (it was cold up top in the wind!), a camera. I also suggest leaving in the morning.  We started out around 1:30 and got back to the parking lot around 5:15 PM.  The park closes at sunset, which is still early this time of year.  I was nervous that we wouldn't make it back down in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment